GET STARTED TODAY WITH OUR MOST POPULAR PLAN: THE SHAH TRAINING PLAYGROUND WORKOUT
Finally, forget the gym, skip the steady state cardio, and get a lean, mean physique while working out in the playground...or at home!
- 3, 15-minute bodyweight workouts: learn how to use bodyweight training to burn fat and build lean muscle mass
- Tips, Tricks, & Tools: discover how to schedule your workouts around a busy schedule and maximize your training time.
Supersets are extremely useful for losing fat and gaining muscle. There’s a right way to do it, and a wrong way to do it.
The right way to do it is to combine a barbell movement with either a dumbbell or bodyweight exercise.
The wrong way to do it is to take two barbell movements and perform them back to back. Now, if you’re doing something like barbell bicep curls and barbell tricep extensions, thats OK.
However, if you’re performing a set of bench press and then a set of barbell squats, then you’re going to have a HARD time recovering from that superset.
Be safe. Don’t hurt yourself.
I want to go over some of the BEST barbell superset combinations per bodypart. These supersets can be found Coach Lomax’s Athletic Body Workout. So, in essence, I’m giving you a sneak peak (ssshhh… don’t tell him)
Best Dumbbell and Barbell Superset for Shoulders
- Dumbbell Military Press 3×8, 60 seconds rest, then perform 2nd exercise:
- Barbell Hang Clean 3×8, 60 seconds rest, then perform 1st exercise
In this superset, you’re performing an overhead pressing movement, followed by an explosive movement. The military press hits primarily the front shoulders, while the hang clean is an all-around shoulder developer.
Best Dumbbell and Barbell Superset for Arms
For five minutes:
- Dumbbell Alternating Curls x 5 repetitions
- Barbell Skull Crushers x 5 repetitions
You’ve probably seen these two movements paired together often for arms. What’s unique about this superset is the fact that you are alternating between the two movements for 5 minutes straight. At the end of those 5 minutes of straight arm-pumping, your arms are going to be SCREAMING. This is how you accomplish more in a shorter period of time.
Best Dumbbell and Barbell Superset for Upper Body
- Barbell Bench Press 3×8, 60 seconds rest, then perform 2nd exercise:
- Dumbbell One-arm Bent Over Row 3×8, 60 seconds rest, then perform 1st exercise
You’ve probably seen these two movements paired together often as well. This is simply a tried and tested pairing that seems to ALWAYS work to build up your upper body. Make sure it’s part of your routine!
Best Dumbbell and Barbell Superset for Total Body
- Barbell Front Squat 8×3, 30-45 seconds rest, then perform 2nd exercise:
- Dumbbell One-arm Floor Press 8×3, 30-45 seconds rest, then perform 1st exercise
Here we have a unique total body pairing from the Fat Loss Workout in the Athletic Body Workout Package. As you can see, the rep-set scheme allows you to use moderate to heavy weights to help you maintain your muscle mass while burning fat.
Have a great workout session today!