Big, tough dudes just like to grab the weight, pull the bar, and run real fast. We often forget to warm up properly, much less stretch until one day…*POP*
Something sprains, or worse…tears.
Let’s not do that.
The good news is that stretching doesn’t have to be boring!
What’s more, you need to keep an open mind. Yoga is just another form bodyweight training, and it is tough!
This will help stretch and prime your glutes:
- Stand with your feet together and hands by your side. Slowly move your hands along the side of your legs while bending downwards, the way you would when touching toes.
- From here, move your buttocks down as though you were about to sit in a chair while lifting your arms over your head in a “Y” shape.
- Keeping your back straight, keep your hands in front of you fully extended. Hold this position, then slowly stand back up.
I remember doing the prayer squat in my Karate class. It will help improve flexibility in your hips, thighs, and hamstrings.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider then shoulder width apart. Bring your arms over your head and descend into a squat position.
- From here, bring your palms together, and bring them in front of your body so that your elbows are on the inside of your thighs.
- Keeping your back straight, inhale and press the elbows against the inside of the knees.
- Maintain this isometric position for 10-20 seconds, then return to starting position.
Make sure you perform these on your leg day or include into your regular warm up plan.